Hearty Chicken Gumbo
Print RecipePrint Recipe
Homemade soup with chicken, sausage, okra, bacon, tomato and garlic in spicy chicken broth.
- 1/2 cup rice dry, white or brown
- 2 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 2 oz bacon diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery finely sliced
- 1/2 cup green pepper diced
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup flour all-purpose
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- 8 oz chicken breast cooked
- 6 oz sausage chicken or pork
- 2 tsp gumbo file powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1 ea bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup okra fresh or frozen
- 1 1/3 Tbsp parsley
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- In stockpot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add bacon. Saute bacon until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add flour. Whisk until well blended. Cook, whisking often, until medium brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in broth.
- Add water and tomato. Whisk until well blended. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Add remaining ingredients except okra, rice and parsley. Return to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add okra. Return to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until okra is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- At time of service, stir in rice and parsley. Cook until heated through.
Serving size 8 oz.
|Total FatSaturated Fat||11g2.5g|
|Total CarbDietary Fiber||20g2g|
Serving size 8 oz.
Note: Since everyone’s health history and nutritional needs are so different, please make sure that you talk with your doctor and a registered dietitian to get advice about the diet and exercise plan that‘s right for you.