Baked Stuffed Eggplant
Print RecipePrint Recipe
Sautéed eggplant, tomato, bell pepper, onion and feta baked in an eggplant shell with crumb topping
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat bread diced 1/2"
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 ea medium eggplant trimmed, cut lengthwise in half
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic clove minced
- 1 cup plum tomato cored, seeded, diced 1/4"
- 3/4 cup fresh red pepper seeded, diced 1/4"
- 1 tsp fresh oregano leaves minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley leaves chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In food processor, pulse bread until coarse crumbs form, 10 to 12 times.
- Toss crumbs with oil.
- Score cut side of each eggplant half by making 4 crosswise cuts, 1/2" deep.
- On parchment-lined sheet pan, place eggplant halves, cut side down, 1" apart.
- Bake until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
- Carefully scoop pulp from each eggplant half leaving a 1/4" thick shell. Reserve eggplant shells. Chop pulp 1/2".
- Reduce convection oven to 300 F.
- In sauté pan over medium-high heat coated with cooking spray, sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chopped eggplant, tomato, red pepper, oregano, salt and black pepper. Sauté until heated through, 5 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat. Cook until liquid evaporates, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and parsley.
- In each eggplant shell, layer the eggplant-onion mixture and top with crumb mixture.
- On parchment-lined sheet pan, place stuffed eggplant halves 1" apart.
- Bake until internal temperature reaches 165 F and tops are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
|Total FatSaturated FatTrans Fat||5g2g0g|
|Total CarbDietary FiberSugars||28g9g14g|
Note: Since everyone’s health history and nutritional needs are so different, please make sure that you talk with your doctor and a registered dietitian to get advice about the diet and exercise plan that‘s right for you.