Spicy Black Bean Cakes
Print RecipePrint Recipe
Black bean cakes spiced with ancho pepper, cumin, chili powder, roasted garlic and cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 1/2 Tbsp yellow onion trimmed, diced
- 3 Tbsp green onions (scallions) trimmed, sliced
- 2 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 1/4 tsp dark chili powder
- 2 1/4 tsp ground ancho chili pepper
- 12 oz low sodium canned black beans
- 1 ea egg lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/4 tsp fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 1/2 tsp of oil. Add minced garlic and diced onion. Sauté until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add scallions, cumin, chili powder and ancho pepper. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Add beans. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Lightly mash half of the bean mixture. Cool.
- Add egg, flour, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Portion bean mixture by shaping each portion into 6 cakes, each 1/2" thick.
- In sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 cup of oil. Add bean cakes. Sauté until well browned, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Set on paper towels to absorb any leftover oil.
|Total FatSaturated FatTrans Fat||11g1.5g0g|
|Total CarbDietary FiberSugars||17g4g<1g|
Note: Since everyone’s health history and nutritional needs are so different, please make sure that you talk with your doctor and a registered dietitian to get advice about the diet and exercise plan that‘s right for you.