When you’re getting ready for your next cookout, think about making the flip. Our chefs are doing it, and so are millions of dedicated grillers everywhere. Sure, the classic beef burger is still on our BBQ list, but our chefs are finding exciting new ways to make the flip to innovative veggie burgers. They’re packed with protein, filled with flavor and all-around better for you (and, as an added bonus, going plant forward is better for the environment).
Hearty and tasty, you won’t miss the meat on this burger! These savory Portobello mushrooms absorb the smoky flavors from the grill.
1 tsp. olive or vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup bottled BBQ sauce
4 large (about 14 oz.) portobello mushroom caps (no stems), cleaned
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
6 hamburger buns
6 green leaf lettuce leaves, washed
12 tomato slices
- In saute pan over medium-high heat, heat oil and add onion. Saute until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add BBQ sauce to onions and mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 1 to 3 minutes. Turn off heat. Cover and keep hot for service.
- Preheat char-grill to medium-high.
- Coat mushrooms with cooking spray; sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Grill mushrooms until fork-tender, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and slice 1/4 inch.
- Top hamburger bun with sliced mushrooms, 2-3 tablespoons BBQ onions, lettuce, and tomato. Serve.
Guacamole Black Bean Burger (Serves 6)
Sometimes it’s easier to start with a great grocery store product, then customize it with toppings to impress. Here, we top a Gardenburger® vegan black bean burger with spicy guacamole, crispy corn tortilla straws, and vegan chipotle mayo that’s made with the liquid from a can of chickpeas!
6 vegan black bean burger patties (such as Gardenburger®), frozen
6 hamburger rolls
Vegan chipotle mayonnaise (use recipe that follows, or use your favorite sandwich spread)
6 fresh lettuce leaves
12 fresh tomato slices
1 cup prepared guacamole (spicy if you desire)
Crunchy corn tortilla straws: Cut 1 or 2 corn tortillas in half, then cut each half crosswise into strips (“straws.”) Bake straws on parchment-lined sheet pan in preheated 400oF oven 2 minutes, or until golden. Cool.
- Preheat char-grill to medium. Cook frozen black bean burgers 4-5 minutes on each side (internal temperature reaches 165oF).
- Layer each hamburger bun with 2 tbsp. vegan chipotle mayonnaise, 1 bean patty, 2 slices tomato, 1 lettuce leaf, 2 tbsp. guacamole, and 2 tbsp. crispy tortilla straws. Serve.
Grilled Eggplant “Steaks” (Serves 6)
What could be simpler? If your grill is hot, you could be less than 15 minutes away from chowing down on these smoky eggplant slices.
1-2 eggplants (about 1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed and sliced crosswise 1/2″
3 tbsp. vegetable or olive oil
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Hamburger rolls plus your favorite toppings!
- Preheat char-grill to medium
- Toss sliced eggplant with oil, salt, and pepper to coat.
- Grill eggplant until tender, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Serve hot.
Bistro Beet Burger Patty (Serves 6)
Fresh shredded raw beets are blended with lentils, brown rice and spices for a perfect patty that offers texture and taste destined to get rave reviews at your next cookout. Serve it with vegan 1000 island dressing made with aquafaba (recipe follows) and your favorite toppings.
1 cup cooked brown lentils
1 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup fresh red beets, peeled and finely shredded (raw)
4 tbsp. chickpea (garbanzo bean) powder (or substitute whole wheat flour)
3 tbsp. yellow onion, trimmed and finely minced
1 small clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/4 tsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients above. Mix until well blended. Portion beet-lentil mixture into 6 patties.
- Preheat char-grill to medium. Cook burgers 4-5 minutes on each side (internal temperature reaches 165F).
- Add to a whole grain bun with your favorite sandwich toppings, like vegan 1000 island dressing (recipe follows).
Vegan Aquafaba Mayonnaise (About 3/4 cup)
3 tbsp. reserved liquid from canned chickpeas
1 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
2 pinches ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- In blender or bowl if using immersion blender, combine all ingredients except oil. Blend until smooth.
- With blender running, slowly add oil in a thin, steady stream until well emulsified.
- Cover. Keep chilled for service or use as directed in recipe.
- Vegan Chipotle Mayonnaise: Add 1/2 tbsp. canned chipotle chilies in adobo before oil.
- Vegan 1000 Island Dressing: Add 4 tbsp. ketchup and 4 tbsp. sweet pickle relish before oil.
Still hungry? Be sure to check out a few of our other plant-forward recipes, including our grilled pineapple salsa, that could serve as the perfect snack at your next BBQ!
Note: Since everyone’s health history and nutritional needs are so different, please make sure that you talk with your doctor and a registered dietitian to get advice about the diet and exercise plan that‘s right for you.