Lighten up your dinner and charge your batteries for homework, housework, or whatever you have planned for the night with a sweet take on baked chicken breast that you can feel good about. A great source of lean protein, this chicken breast has a splash of citrus to give it a burst of flavor and is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C.
Tropical Chicken with Citrus Sauce (serves 4)
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 10, 4 oz pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- ¼ Cup Low Sodium Defatted Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup Mandarin Orange Segments
- ½ Cup Pink Grapefruit Segments
- ½ Cup Orange Marmalade
- ¼ Cup Lime Juice
- 1/8 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper (Dried)
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat for a minute or so. Add the chicken breast and cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Transfer the chicken to a roasting pan, reserving the drippings in the skillet.
- Pour the broth over the chicken in the roasting pan. Cover the roasting pan and bake for 20 minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170°.
- While the chicken is cooking, add the orange, grapefruit, marmalade, lime juice, and red pepper to the skillet with the drippings and whisk. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- For each serving, place two pieces of chicken on a plate and ladle ¼ cup of sauce over top.
Nutrition Highlights (Serving Size 2 Pieces) Calories: 240 Fat: 7g Sodium: 460mg
Note: Since everyone’s health history and nutritional needs are so different, please make sure that you talk with your doctor and a registered dietitian to get advice about the diet and exercise plan that‘s right for you.